Sunday, October 17, 2004

Homecoming Ain't What It Used to Be

Kids handle homecoming differently than back when I was in high school (yes, waaaaaaaay back then in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth). Maybe it's because I was in high school so long ago. Or maybe it's because I went to a small town school. Or possibly because I was so socially awkward, at least much more so than Hannah is right now. Anyway, I remember it as a time when if you didn't have a date you certainly didn't go to the dance. Hannah and her friends handle it differently ... better. She and her friends, both male and female, travel in a pack most of the time, with numbers varying depending on availablity of various people to participate. It seems to me to be a much superior way to handle social situations at that age anyway, but it really made homecoming fun for them.

About 16 of them planned the evening together (dinner, dance, midnight bowling) and then paired off within the group as "friend dates". Hannah volunteered to go with a guy from Jesuit (all boys' school) and the conversation he had with their mutual friend was hilarious ("But she knows it's not a "date" date, right? I mean, she won't expect "date" stuff, right?). No, no money spent on each other, no dancing required, don't worry. Tom was wondering about the boy and was reassured when Hannah told him, "This is going to be so great. He looks just like Fry from Futurama ... and he LOVES Futurama so he'll get it when I quote it." Yep, nothing but friends there. (I thought it was funny that the boy's resemblance to Fry was confirmed when Hannah had a friend watch Futurama for the first time and the instant Fry came on the screen, Katie gasped, "Wow, that looks just like David!")

The conversation that made Tom and me laugh out loud was between a "couple" who'd made a pact not to spend anything on each other. After all, this was a strictly "friends" thing. Then a few days ago he called.

Him, elaborately casual: Sooooooo, what color is your homecoming dress?

Her, instantly suspicious: Why? Why do you care what color my dress is?

Him, miserably: Well, my parents are making me get you a corsage.

Her, shrieking: What? I don't care about that! I don't want a corsage! You promised!

Him: I KNOW! I tried to tell them...they won't listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment