Friday, September 9, 2005

Hurray for Bollywood

BRIDE & PREJUDICE
Director Gurinder Chadha (Bend It Like Beckham) gives Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen the Bollywood treatment. Bright colors, song and dance breaking out at a moment's notice, romantic entanglements and humorous characters abound. Chanda manages to stay close to the basic story, even to the point of keeping the sisters' names similar (Maya instead of Mary, etc.). It was handy that both Hannah and Rose had read the book recently (I hate to think how many years it has been since I cracked the covers of that book) so they had a great time pointing out when the story deviated (less often than you'd think).

It is a lighthearted piece of fluff that will entertain once time through well enough. I don't think I'd care about seeing it again although it did make me want to rent Monsoon Wedding for another viewing. If you liked Bride & Prejudice at all, do give Monsoon Wedding a try if you haven't seen it. It is a more complex and authentic view of India and Bollywood. Or, for Austen fans, you can look for the next Indian movie going on my list to try, I Have Found It, an adapted version of Sense and Sensibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment