Sunday, September 25, 2005

Mass Thought - The Funny One

Phil 2:1-11

Brothers and sisters:

If there is any encouragement in Christ,
any solace in love,
any participation in the Spirit,
any compassion and mercy,
complete my joy by being of the same mind, with the same love,
united in heart, thinking one thing.
Do nothing out of selfishness or out of vainglory;
rather, humbly regard others as more important than yourselves,
each looking out not for his own interests,
but also for those of others.

Have in you the same attitude
that is also in Christ Jesus,
Who, though he was in the form of God,
did not regard equality with God
something to be grasped.
Rather, he emptied himself,
taking the form of a slave,
coming in human likeness;
and found human in appearance,
he humbled himself,
becoming obedient to the point of death,
even death on a cross.
Because of this, God greatly exalted him
and bestowed on him the name
which is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus
every knee should bend,
of those in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that
Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.
Kneeling at the altar rail, waiting for the priest to move down the line to me, I was looking at Jesus on the crucifix, pondering the second Mass reading. I thought of all the ways that Jesus showed us how to live in humility and, once again, was struck by the fact that he had covered every circumstance I'd find myself in.

"Wow, you were so perfect at being humble," I thought.

"Well, I am God," flashed the thought into my head.

Touche! Which pretty much explains why I was kind of giggling when the priest moved over and stood in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment