Thursday, March 9, 2006

Why I Pray for the Souls of Our Bishops

Dom at Bettnet reported a few days ago about the mass expulsion of Catholics from their parish in California.

Their crime? Wanting to kneel at the Agnus Dei. This is actually what the Vatican wants everyone to do but Bishop Tod Brown has decided to be disobedient to Rome in this matter and to punish those who will not obey him. Dom also has a follow up post here.

Just as Dom says in the article, the Vatican says that kneeling is the preferred posture. However, when it comes to some of these bishops ... well ... I tell you I pray for their souls because some of them are so very proud and cause so many to turn away from their faith. Sadly, I learned that the hard way a few years ago during a confrontation between our own bishop and our parish.

I often remember that I read somewhere, maybe in Triumph by H.W. Crocker III, that disliking bishops is a time honored tradition in France because they abused their positions so much throughout history. It surprised me at the time but I see that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

It makes me think of the story, which I can't find right now and so will retell badly, about the man who visited Rome and came back a Catholic convert. This astonished his friend who asked the man if he didn't see all the corruption there? "Yes," the man replied, "and I knew if the Church was still going strong after all that those men were doing, then God Himself must be keeping it going."

I remember all that, pray for the bishops and for those who they are hurting, and keep on going.

UPDATE
Secret Agent Man covers this much more thoroughly than I could ever hope to. Essentially, it turns out that the "allowed" kneeling I was thinking of is right before and after Communion, not during the Agnus Dei. However, he also makes an excellent point that if the bishop can't handle this properly in about a minute, then there's a problem there also. All in all, this probably sums it up best, "The only thing that's clear to me is that tempers and vanity are running so high that nobody's yet interested in authentic dialogue about what's happening."

Some good links on kneeling in general that I am moving here from the com box:

Knees to Love Christ by Bishop Olmsted

Liturgical Norms and Liturgical Piety by Cardinal Arinze

Cardinal Responds to Questions on Liturgy: a Q&A with Cardinal Arinze

The Theology of Kneeling from Cardinal Ratzinger's Spirit of the Liturgy

No comments:

Post a Comment