Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Some Gems for You

GOD OR THE GIRL
I mentioned before that I was working my way through the episodes. I have gotten to the end and can highly recommend this DVD. It has a very inspirational view of the discernment process and the problems that people encounter along the way, whether it be well-meaning family members, friends, circumstances, or their own fears. I also especially appreciated the extra features which showed an episode about a candidate whose discernment process didn't get aired. It was just as interesting as the others and I was just as involved as I was with the other guys in seeing what his decision would be. The commentary from the priest who worked with the show about different aspects to the priesthood from faith to celibacy were good and I think would be reassuring to family and friends of someone who was interested in discerning a call to the priesthood. Highly recommended.

UNBORN JESUS OUR HOPE by George Peate
I usually don't recommend a book that I have not read but must make an exception in this case. I received this wonderful book yesterday and can tell after simply reading the first chapter that it is a real treasure. The premise of the book is to carefully and prayerfully consider the fact that Jesus spent 9 months in utero ... and that Jesus' time there still echoes throughout our lives today. I'm not sure how else to describe it and I know that sounds rather dry, so will direct you to The Pew Lady's glowing review which was what made me interested in the book to begin with. The author has a way of bringing forth ideas that make so much sense but that never occurred to me that you can be sure I will be sharing excerpts in the future. Definitely I will be recommending this to our Perpetua & Felicity Book Club as an Advent selection to read.

101 STORIES OF THE SACRAMENT OF RECONCILIATION by Sister Patricia Proctor
While I'm making one exception of raving about a book I haven't read completely I might as well make another ... this book is a gem. The 101 stories that Sister Patricia has gathered range from short and simple to longer tales but all of them bare the writers' souls in one way or another in telling how reconciliation has set people free and filled their lives with grace. These are interspersed with various articles by more professional writers that offer insight from personal perspectives as well. This all adds up to a very practical book that can be read through or dipped into for goodies on a regular basis as I am doing in the evenings before I go to bed. I am sure you'll be seeing excerpts showing up here from this book as well. Highly recommended.

GREAT BOOKS FOR CATHOLICS
Jen has a very good basic list of Catholic books in pdf format. It is a compilation of the recommendations made to her of good reading for RCIA. I have read a surprising number of the books on that list and congratulate her and her advisors for coming up with such a solid list.

No comments:

Post a Comment