Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Let the Joyful News Be Spread ...

The Vatican named Bishop Kevin Joseph Farrell as the new bishop of Dallas Tuesday. The new man replaces Bishop Charles Grahmann, who reached the mandatory retirement age of 75 last July.
Bishop Farrell's biography can be found here. I see that the Dallas diocese site is down right now, either because they are rearranging thing or it has had too many hits.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'd say that no one could be worse than Grahmann (Lord, how we have suffered) but all we have to do is look at Los Angeles to know that's not true. However, a friend mentioned that she was trusting Pope Benedict on this and I will do the same. She also liked that he doesn't have ties to the area (Grahmann surely does) and that we haven't heard of him before. I also tend to think it is fairly healthy that we haven't heard of him before. Hopefully that means he's been busy doing what he was supposed to and not hotdogging for glory (ahem, we'll let any comparisons just drop right there, I think).

Let's pray for our new bishop and also for the old one. Bp. Grahmann surely needs our prayers.

UPDATE
  • Wick Allison sez:
    The reason we’ve waited six months, I heard, is that Archbishop Wurhl asked that his auxiliary be given more time to finish up some important projects. I also hear that he’s a real good man.
  • A quick summary of Bp. Grahmann's history in Dallas which may help enlighten some who do not understand local opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment