Saturday, May 26, 2007

What Tom's Reading

Just for a change of pace ... and so that y'all know what little tidbits of information I am being fed over time. He recommends both highly.

The Physics of Superheroes by James Kakalios
Evidently comic books get their physics right more times than not. Although I never heard of Ant Man or Atom Man until now ... and I now know just how Spider Man got his start. The physics is presented in easy-to-understand terms and is fascinating.

Great Tales from English History: The Truth About King Arthur, Lady Godiva, Richard the Lionheart, and More by Robert Lacey
I got this for Tom for his birthday and, flipping through it, was disappointed to see that it had in it what everybody already knew. Actually, that turned out not to be the case. Instead I should have been thrilled at how much English history I have inadvertently absorbed while reading a lot of theology. The interesting thing about this book, is that while I have impressed Tom by knowing the big picture about obscure historical figures, Lacey has all kinds of little details that I hadn't come across. Short chapters make this Tom's reading when taking a break from the physics book.

No comments:

Post a Comment