Wednesday, May 28, 2008

"Nobody does vegetables like me. I did an evening of vegetables off-Broadway...."

Michael Dorsey: Are you saying that nobody in New York will work with me?

George Fields: No, no, that's too limited... nobody in Hollywood wants to work with you either. I can't even set you up for a commercial. You played a *tomato* for 30 seconds - they went a half a day over schedule because you wouldn't sit down.

Michael Dorsey: Of course. It was illogical.

George Fields: YOU WERE A TOMATO. A tomato doesn't have logic. A tomato can't move.

Michael Dorsey: That's what I said. So if he can't move, how's he gonna sit down, George? I was a stand-up tomato: a juicy, sexy, beefsteak tomato. Nobody does vegetables like me. I did an evening of vegetables off-Broadway. I did the best tomato, the best cucumber... I did an endive salad that knocked the critics on their ass.
I admit it. When I heard that Sydney Pollack had died, this is what sprang to mind ... his acting in one of the funniest scenes from one of my favorite movies, Tootsie.

The suspicion that Pollack was having Dustin Hoffman channel his true acting self didn't hurt the scene either, and I'd bet that Pollack was shrewd enough to use it to full advantage.

Naturally, Deacon Greg had the same thoughts and thanks to him I didn't have to go searching for this full take on that scene. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment