Monday, December 22, 2008

It's My Fault, Because I'm Their Father ...

It's a hard thing to learn that you're not half the father you thought you were.

Nothing ever seems to be good enough for my son though; and my daughter seems to always complain that I love him more. And it's my fault because they're my children.

I think if my kids were to ever end up homeless, living on a street and eating at the shelter, my son would be the one at the table complaining about the quality of the soup and my daughter would be complaining that he had a bigger bowl than she did. And it's my fault because they're my children.
Local sportscaster Dale Hansen writes a surprising column with insights that many parents today might want to read as a cautionary note. He regrets being indulgent with gifts but not giving enough time ... especially when seeing how it affected the adults that his children became.

He is a public personality and so it is also a public apology. If his children are the way he says, and from the latest news I have seen featuring his son, I don't see any reason to doubt it ... then I don't envy the scene at his home for Christmas this year. Sometimes that's what happens when you tell it like it is though.

No comments:

Post a Comment