Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Well Said

From The Curt Jester's reflection upon his upcoming 10th anniversary of coming into the Church.
... God has continuously taught me that I can do nothing without him, and unfortunately this is a lesson that I am constantly in need of relearning. For me it was miraculous that some sins were totally taken from me and that I have not been tempted to fall back into them. This was quite a mercy God gave me since I am so weak and I know that this was none of my doing. Just because I got rid of some sins though it certainly did not mean that I am then ready to be declared a saint. Sometimes when you pick up a big rock you find underneath it lots of crawling and slimy things that you did not realize were there. That is what I discovered about myself that when some major habitually sins were gone that there was still quite a lot underneath that had to be addressed with the grace of God. Be holy as your heavenly father is holy does not give you any room to stop and kick back on your laurels.
I see I am just a year behind him and many of his thoughts apply to me as well. Which would explain why though I went to confession as a matter of "should do it," of "working the process" ... it surprised me by having some things bubble up that I didn't realize until I was talking to the priest. And it left me feeling as light as air, as clean as a landscape after the rain, and grateful ... oh, so grateful. There is a good reason for doing what you are supposed to do whether you want to or not, whether you feel like you need it or not. This blessed sacrament is one place where I learn that lesson again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment