Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Movie With a Great Priest

In this, the year of the priest, we have seen several lists being passed around that feature priests we can admire. Check B Movie Catechism for lists and links and other suggestions.

I can heartily recommend On the Waterfront for one of the most vigorous, hold-the-line presentations of a priest ever given or written.

Also I am extremely pleased to see that The American Catholic didn't forget one of my favorites with Spencer Tracy playing a no-holds-barred priest, San Francisco. (Also starring Clark Gable being a very bad boy, ladies, so don't miss this one.)

I am going to add The Quiet Man to the list. Although the priest isn't a main character, he is instrumental in several places. His reaction to Maureen O'Hara's whispered confession in Gaelic is both hilarious and telling that he knows plenty about married life. Also I love his ecumenism in supporting his Anglican counterpart when the bishop comes to town.

Thanks to Our Heroine for bringing to mind that I hadn't yet mentioned these movie lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment