Thursday, June 4, 2009

Truly, he has a dizzying intellect.

As one of those "undereducated people" to which John C. Wright's commenter keeps referring in her Ulysses/James Joyce rant, I was pleased to be able to pick right up on this allusion in his response (and it made me giggle).
If your argument is that I do not understand ULYSSES because I lack education, all I can say is that you have made one of the two classic blunders. The first is never get involved in a land war in Asia. The second, only slightly less well known, is not to challenge the education of someone who graduated with honors from Mortimer Alder's "Great Books" program when death is on the line. I do not mind allusions in writer. I use them myself frequently. Some of them are obscure, or come from movies or comic books, as well as from classical literature. ...
For those tragically undereducated who have never seen The Princess Bride, here is the Cliff Notes version.

No comments:

Post a Comment