Monday, September 14, 2009

Around the House: Wolfmen, Mousetraps, Brisket, and Mud

Clap for the Wolfman
Taking Rose's advice from her summer watching, we watched a movie I never would have thought of in zillion years (yes, zillion), Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. I believe her actual words were "laugh riot." While we did not find this a laugh riot, it was moderately amusing in that the plot hung together in a very coherent fashion. As well, we were bemused though out by the fact that main roles were held and well played by Lon Chaney as the Wolfman and Bela Lugosi as Dracula. Really. Unexpected and amusing in its own way for those qualities.

Mousetraps: They're Not Just for Mice Any More
Thank goodness that Tom remembered the strategy we took to break our previous Boxer, Daffy, from treating our furniture as her own to bound upon at will. Set many mousetraps to snap, turn them upside down, gingerly put sheets of newspaper (or in our case, an actual sheet) over them so as to leave them set. Wait just a little while out of the room for the robust snap of one or two and watch Zoe racing, ears back, tail tucked, out of the room. It is a very satisfying exercise. Especially if you arise, as we did on Sunday, to find that in the middle of the night your two young boxers were mud wrestling in the night and then playing leapfrog all over the couch in your back room. While grabbing your new pillows (the ones that say dry-clean only) and tossing them with zest and glee around the room.

By the way, emboldened by advice read long ago in Home Comforts, I took the pillow covers off and washed them on the "Hand Washables" setting, then dried them on the "Air Fluff" setting and they were as good as new ... and did not shrink, despite the fact that they were 100% cotton from India. Another quite satisfying exercise, I must say.

It's Raining. It's Pouring.
So a Beyond Cana pool party for those who had just attended the last retreat was move to the church's St. Ann's Hall which mercifully was not booked that evening. A miracle, let us note. I only bring this up because a good time was had by all, as far as I could see. Certainly Tom and I had a good time.

Let me just say this ... you may think that smoking a 15 pound brisket will feed 50 people, many of whom are teeny-tiny kids. Not so. I hang my head with shame for not checking out a few references on this point. Thank goodness there were tons of tasty side dishes and desserts. Next time I am doing two briskets. I will share the recipe later as it is hands-down the easiest and best tasting one I've done at home. No smoker required and only one hour of attendance over a grill. Yep. That's the element that made many of the guys' eyes light up with interest.

Mud. Lots and Lots of Mud.
It has been raining here for three days straight, going on four. I actually don't mind the rain, once I remember to reset to "can I beat the challenge?" reality show style mentality.

However, with a side garden bed in the back (unplanted because that's the way I roll ... non-gardening style) and the aforementioned two young boxers, I feel as if we now have a fine patina of North Texas mud on every surface.

You think I'm kidding.

I'm not.

The absolute worst moment came during the last hour of the Cowboys' game yesterday, when Wash came trotting in, flung himself at my feet and then yawned and licked his nose ... with a tongue of pure gray. Pure. Gray. Not a fleck of flesh showing through because evidently he'd been eating the stuff.

Four paws coated in mud up to the ankles.

This from the dog who we are trying to break of using the dry part of the patio as his own personal outhouse because he doesn't like to get his paws wet when it rains.

Aaaargh.

He was compliant but curious during the subsequent dragging outside to have his feet wiped down ("not the web between my toes, noooooo ...") right afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment