Tuesday, March 9, 2010

In the desert ...

... it is difficult there, spare and unrelenting. But there is a sort of peace and beauty that comes from having your soul scoured clean by the whirling sands.

The Crescat reminds us that it is still Lent. I need no reminder this year. But in a strange way I am grateful for that scouring. Perhaps I am in the eye of the storm to be experiencing such peace. I realize how very imperfect I am. I realize just how superhuman, how supernatural it was for Christ to undergo what He did in His passion and to do it so perfectly. I realize how grateful I am that we have His example, simultaneously perfectly human and perfectly divine, to follow and not only that of our fellow men, imperfect as we all are.

Is it peaceful here because it is real, because we can see so clearly when stripped away from the extraneous trees and landscape of regular life? I do not know. But I begin to feel an understanding of the desert saints that I never have before.

No comments:

Post a Comment