Friday, April 1, 2011

Fasting for an End to Abortion: First Friday (April)

I am thrilled to see that there are others fasting for an end to abortion. These ladies are ramping it up. Once a month? Pah! They are making it personal with once a week fasting. (Once a week? I must think about this ... it is the sort of sacrifice that really puts it out there with constancy and immediacy.) Check out Garden of Holiness.

(Much thanks to Adoro te Devote for pointing me this way and also for reminding me that today is the first day of April ... no April Fool's about it, either!)

Now, on to my regular monthly fast for an end to abortion.  Here's the background info.

If you're not already fully involved in working toward this goal, I invite you to join me in a monthly day of sacrificial fasting and prayer for the unborn, the mothers and fathers who are tempted to make the mistake of abortion, those who work to end abortion and for the souls of those who have been so lied to that they work for abortion.

Here is something that I ran in 2008 which I found inspiring and am sharing again to remind us that a "less than perfect" baby is a blessing we simply don't have the capability of imagining ... until they are right there in front of us.

On the ninth day, she came home, and I began to realize that my feelings of fear and anxiety had changed in a way that no prenatal screening could ever have predicted.


I now believe Genevieve is here for everyone. I believe Genevieve is taking over the world, one heart at a time — beginning with mine. I believe that what was once our perceived damnation has now become our unexpected salvation.

When Gregg Rogers heard that their baby would have Down syndrome, he was terrified. Until she was born. A life-affirming story that reminds us that what we often fear turns out to be a great blessing. Read or listen to this short essay here at This I Believe.

1 comment:

  1. I've labeled my calendar with Fasting Fridays to remind me. Thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete