Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What do Punch and Judy, a Black Cat, and Spaghetti Have in Common? The Magicians of Caprona, Of Course!

The Magicians of Caprona (Chrestomanci, #4)The Magicians of Caprona by Diana Wynne Jones

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have been enjoying this book tremendously since the first page. Tonino is born into a famous spell-making family in the Italian kingdom of Caprona (although there is no unified Italy in this story). Although he can't do spells well he does have his own special talent which his large, loving family appreciates very much. They have many other things to bother them though, such as their ancient rivals (the Petrocchi family), the war that threatens their kingdom, and a hostile enchanter who is said to hate both families. And more.

This is an engaging adventure which I absolutely couldn't predict the path of ... other than the identity of Rosa's fiance and the identity of the evil enchanter. In typical Diana Wynne Jones style, this book is both enchanting and completely imaginative. I hesitate to say more other than any review can do no more than touch the tip of this rich iceberg. Don't let the age limit put on it by library groups make you hesitate. Any age who enjoys a good story will enjoy this book.

View all my Goodreads reviews

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Julie! I don't know if you followed Brian Jaques Redwall series, but I did. Every one of his adventures is heartwarming and fully engaging. He passed away this year, and I will miss his writing enormously. I am many times over a young adult reader as his works are targeted towards. No matter - if you have not indulged - I believe it is (could) be similar to the way you discribe the Magicians of Caprono. I'm going to put it on my BN wish list right now. Thank you!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried Redwall but I think I came to it too late and it just didn't grab me the same way. But I know just what you mean. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to make "more clear" that this is listed (like most Diana Wynne Jones books) as a juv/young adult book. I read it out loud with an 8 year old niece who followed the story very well. It will be enjoyed not only by all ages but both genders.

    ReplyDelete