Thursday, May 31, 2012

Refreshing: a newspaper that won't let readers forget about the Church's battle for religious liberty

How ironic it will be if Catholic voters, about 27% of the electorate, put the first Mormon in the White House some 50 years after John F. Kennedy became the first Catholic president. More telling, though, about the current state of the American mind will be the fact that after more than a thousand days and events in Barack Obama's presidency, the reason for this result will be an unexpected reaffirmation of an American principle older than the country's first presidential election: the free exercise of religion.
A friend sent me something the other day linking to outraged reactions at the "media blackout" of the 41 religious institutions suing the Obama administration over the HHS mandate.

I was confused. Then I realized that the Wall Street Journal has been quite free of any sort of black out. To the contrary, we've been getting regular news articles and editorials. As with the one today which, as far as I could see, was just a good summary of the whole situation and keeping it top of mind.

Because, you know, this isn't just a Catholic battle. It is one for all Americans who wish to exercise freedom and follow their consciences.

I like that. I like it a lot.

[That's not to say the WSJ is perfect. We see the flaws, never fear. Only today Tom was annoyed because a business article skipped giving vital information about a company's customers so they could blame da man instead (that man being President Obama). Give me the facts, thanks. I can figure out who to blame on my own. However, it is still head and shoulders above the local Dallas Morning News, so we are content. Mostly.]

2 comments:

  1. Barrack Obama has been the most anti religious, especially anti Catholic, president in the history of this country. I'm sorry, I just do not believe this man is a Christian. No, I'm not saying he's a Muslim. He is an atheist who knew he had to put on a facade if he wished to get elected. I truely believe he will lose in November, and rightly so. He deserves to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Newspapers. I remember those (I'm old). It's just a pity that media outlets in general are stepping down from their old pretense of objectivity and, it seems, sitting around deciding how they can shape their news coverage in a way to best promote their views.

    PS. I had to go through 3 word verifications to get one I could actually read.

    ReplyDelete