Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Almost Brand New Puppies

These three baby boys came in overnight with no mom. The person who found them tried to care for them the best she could, but at just a few days old, they needed more care than she could provide. Thanks to your donations of heating pads, bottles, and formula they are still alive. It's touch and go, of course, but YOU are making a difference.
This takes me back to the old days when my parents raised and bred Bulmastiffs for show. We sometimes had teeny tinies like this who needed extra care. I can still remember getting the feeding tube down a bitty baby and watching it suddenly go to sleep in my hands as I pushed the syringe slowly and it became ... full.

I've gotta say that no one uses Facebook to better advantage than Dallas Animal Services. They update it continually with pictures and stories that make me feel good, know their needs, and just generally keep them top-of-mind. Aside from our Boxer needs, we generally have adopted rescue pets from the SPCA. However, the next time we'll probably go to Dallas Animal Services. The SPCA has some very generous donors and now has a "no kill" policy but Dallas Animal Services doesn't have that luxury.

1 comment:

  1. I have gathered a real appreciation for the job they do after the way I acquired my cats. The first two were kittens that were so young I had to bottle feed them (now they're old enough to think they're people) and the third was a little guy that came into the house out of nowhere, deathly sick, that I've had for the last few months. That people do this for a living is remarkable considering how difficult it is to do even once.

    Here's hoping these guys pull through all right.

    ReplyDelete