Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis

Mere ChristianityMere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

C.S. Lewis explores the common ground upon which all of those of Christian faith stand together. Bringing together Lewis’ legendary broadcast talks from World War Two, Mere Christianity provides an unequaled opportunity for believers and nonbelievers alike to hear this powerful apologetic for the Christian faith.
I recall reading this some time ago and really liking it. Having grown to think of Geoffrey Howard's narration as C.S. Lewis's voice when listening to Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra, I was interested to hear him read this nonfiction.

I also was interested to reread this because one of the most common critiques I see of this book is that it isn't easy for modern minds to relate to it. That puzzled me because I didn't recall anything that was particularly specific to the 1940s, other than perhaps an occasional reference to Nazis as examples of evil doers. And those sorts of references are easily understood even in these "modern" times if one gauges the matter from TV and movies.

Having read the book, I don't understand that critique. I suspect that those who have such complaints are not being fully honest with why they might not approve of some parts of what Lewis is saying. They need not agree, but what he says is actually the way Christians see the world.

I enjoyed this immensely as an extremely logical and understandable explanation to which anyone can relate. One need not agree with the author about Christianity or God, but one gets an excellent description of how a Christian understands the world. And that is a valuable thing these days, it seems to me. It is also a good devotional as I was reminded of many of the basics upon which my life is based and to which I aspire.

No comments:

Post a Comment